Friday, December 30, 2011

Decide... Now!!

Something happened to me the other morning that really made me think. My husband and I left for work at the same time and we were both going the same direction. I could see the tail-lights of his truck a couple of cars ahead of me as we drove down the road, which gave me an odd sense of comfort. It must of been this feeling that got my wheels turning about the subject of chance and how each choice we make alter the course of our lives. It happens that my husband needed gas so he made a left turn into the gas station as I drove straight on by. What if we had not met? Two strangers on the same path for an instant and one makes a decision to turn left and the other to continue forward, never to travel the same path again. What then? In that moment I was amazed at how the complexity of circumstance and the simplicity of the act of making a decision changes everything! Circumstance is much harder to control, however the decisions we make in life are within our grasp.
How long does it take you to make a decision? If you are anything like me, I have pondered for days trying to decide on one thing or another; oftentimes I have even decided not to decide! Of course it is always the hard choices that take the longest and are in the forefront of our minds. The truth is that we are faced with a juncture of circumstances every moment we are awake in which we choose to go one way or another. Get up, hit the snooze button; eat breakfast, skip it; speed and pass, or just cruise.Thousands of choices each day that most of which run on auto pilot.
Interestingly enough, each selection we make relates to an outcome and more importantly, each moment we let go by without a decision ultimately changes the result. Yes, I am pulling the old "cause and effect" card here... and for good reason!
I, like most of you, understand causality and can recite what it means by definition. However, how many of us really engage in truly contemplating the relationship between an event and a second event? Better yet, how about the fact that the second event is a direct consequence of the first? Our decisions for the most part are the second event in the mix, unless it happens that another factor intervenes.
These colliding happenings literally lead to opportunity or misfortune. Make a left turn and you run into your soul mate, make a right turn and you could end up running into a tree; or for that matter just go about your daily life, which may not be all that bad!
So the point in my rambling is the vastness of occurrences that have gone by in which one second changed our entire lives. Up to this point it all may be good... but think about the ones that have yet to evolve. Believe me, with 86,400 seconds in a day, it takes one to make a choice which can mean the difference between a shot or a knock.
So keep choosing... do not take too long though because with each tick of the clock yields an altered result; it could be your break!

Toodles! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment